Saturday, October 15, 2011

I'm a Barbie Girl in a Barbie World . . .

Did anyone else see this article about what a "real" Barbie girl would look like?
 In the latest issue of "O" magazine, model Katie Halchishick posed and allowed her figure to be compared to Barbie's proportions.


For this model to have the proportions of Barbie, she'd have to have the following done:

-brow lift
-jaw line shave
-rhinoplasty (nose job)
-cheek and neck reduction
-chin implant
-scooped-out shoulders
-breast lift
-liposuction on arms
-tummy tuck which would also need sculpting

Halchishick co-founded a website, Healthy is the New Skinny, has taken on the hard mission of teaching that it is better to be healthy than skinny.  She is challenging to rethink the ideal body image and has opened a modeling agency for women with natural figures.

Like so many of you out there, I'm not completely happy with myself and my body image.  I look at magazine covers and movies and wonder why I can't be that way.  At the same time, I don't want my daughter to grow up worrying about her weight or comparing herself to the impossible.

I saw this picture and just thought it was fascinating when outlined on an actual woman how impossible it would be to be a real-life Barbie.

I think I'll just continue to focus on being healthy instead of skinny.

2 comments: