Friday, November 19, 2010

It Has to Last Longer than 10 Minutes

Yesterday I had that dreaded doctor's appointment that all women cringe over.  Yep, the "female" doctor.

Apparently, it has been a year since my last appointment.  I didn't find this out until I was at the Costco pharmacy picking up my b.c. prescription that I had called in that morning.  When I got to the front of the line, the lady kindly informed me that my prescription was out and that they had been trying to fax my doctor all day for an ok to fill it for this one month but they hadn't received a response yet.

"What does that mean?"  I asked.

"It means we can't give you your prescription," the lady said back to me.

Now, at this exact moment, Caleb decided to start screaming, Kanin and Gracie were fighting.  Caleb was trying to pull the contact solution in the floor and Scott had his head in his hands.

I whirled my head back around to her and she must have seen my eyes turn red.

"Do you see that?  Does it look like I need another kid right now?  This is not headache medicine it is birth control!!!!"

"Let me see what I can do . . ."

So back to my doctor appointment yesterday . . .

After doing the necessary things that the doctor needs to do "down there", we started talking about if I was done or not.  I told him that I thought I was done but that every once in a while I get a little baby fever.  It usually only lasts for about 10 minutes or until there is a big fight or I hear kids screaming and then I'm over it.

"It has to last longer than 10 minutes," he told me. 

Then he told me this story:

"My wife has been getting ready to have everyone over for Thanksgiving.  We have this piano that is really big and really heavy.  The piano has been in this room and she hates it there.  She has been on me to move it but I can't move it by myself.  So, I decided to hire a few guys to come over and move it.  They had to kind of tip it on its side and shuffle it down the hall.  Then, once there, they had to re-tune it and make sure that it sounded good.  The next day my wife kept staring at it and walking back and forth by it.  Finally, she told me that she didn't like it there and wanted to move it back.  'This isn't something that you can just take back,' I told her.  'It took a lot of time, money and planning to get it in this spot and it is staying there!'

Well, of course I'm looking at him wondering why I care about this until he said, "A pregnancy isn't something you can take back in 10 minutes.  Make sure the wanting one lasts longer than 10 minutes before you decide to do it."

Pretty good advice, huh?  Of course, I do have those moments when I miss holding an infant and carrying them around in the sling but they've only lasted for about 10 minutes.  Guess I'll start worrying when they last 11 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. You are an excellent writer April. I'm going to try to start checking your blog more often, but computer time is such a luxury at the moment. I can just picture the scene at Costco. Absolutely love you line "Does it look like I need another kid!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You CAN'T HANDLE the birth control!!!!!

    ReplyDelete