Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sister Wives-Watch or Don't Watch

Ok, I have a dilemma.  Those of you who know me know that I love reality TV.  If I'm not watching sports then you can find me watching anything from a true crime show to Survivor.  Last week, TLC introduced their new show Sister Wives and I watched and I have started to question myself. 

I feel like I am an open-minded person who is also grounded in my personal and religious convictions.  I can appreciate other cultures and mores and appreciate that others believe differently than I do while still maintaining my faith in my own beliefs; however, when it comes to this show, I am having a problem in resolving my own belief system against the packaging of the program.  The way this show is put together makes polygamy sound like the greatest thing on Earth!  The wives talk of how they love having the free time at night to do what they want to do, not to cook dinner every night and always having that excitement with their husband that often goes away in traditional marriages.  The #1 wife actually cries when she talks about the question that if something ever happened to her that she knows her "sister wives" would raise her daughter just as she would and she know that her daughter would be taken care of.  When listening to these women talk, they sure put up some compelling arguments.
  For some reason, though, I feel like it is "wrong" of me to watch this show.  I don't know what it is.  I feel like if I watch the show then I am supporting their lifestyle of which I adamantly disagree.  On the other hand, though, I have absolutely NO problem reading a book about a serial killer, Hindu seeker or atheist poet.  I certainly don't support their lifestyles, either, but for some reason I think that because I am reading about these different lifestyles that I am educating myself rather than watching the Sister Wives show that I am supporting their lifestyle.
  Any thoughts on this?

1 comment:

  1. I've watched several episodes too. I guess I don't feel like it's wrong for me to do so...not any more wrong than watching CSI Miami or other shows with actions and lifestyles that I don't agree with. But maybe I shouldn't be watching that kind of thing either (you know, whatever is lovely, pure...think on these things...) So I don't know.
    But the lifestyle itself is so foreign, it's interesting. On the one hand, I can see what the women are saying about not having all the responsibility (I've always thought that about polygamy, even before the show). On the other hand, I can't imagine sharing my husband. And on this show, I think the guy is kind of immature; I'm not sure how he can be a good head of a family of 20-something.
    Sorry so long. I'm just kind of fascinated, and at the same time repulsed, by this show!

    ReplyDelete