Friday, March 19, 2010

Just a Mom

I think I have mentioned on here that I follow a blog called Clover Lane, thanks to Holly, and I received one of the "Clover Lane Lady's" (that's what I call her) updates and it really hit home with me. 

Last night Scott and I went to dinner with a new potential employee of his and her husband.  The employee is a registered nurse who is working bedside these days and her husband is an opthomalogy resident.  They were both super nice, easy to talk to and down-to-Earth.  In fact, I was kind of sad for the dinner to end because it was just an easy-flowing conversation.  At one point in the conversation, Emmy asked me what I did and out loud I said, "I'm just a stay-at-home mom".  Well, immediately, I kind of made a little joke and said "JUST" hoping that she got the meaning that even though I stay-at-home with the kids that I do more than just kind of babysit, watch TV, etc.  Then, instead of just being content to say that I stay-at-home with the kids I felt the need to go farther into my education and work history  . . . "I have a degree in Education, taught high school Engish for a couple of years, was a Military Intelligence Officer in the Army for 6 years then I was a cartographer (people never know what that word means) and then I DECIDED to stay at home once Gracie was born."  Why did I feel the need to justify myself?

Staying at home with my children is an absolute blessing that I know a lot of women, including my own mom, wish and dream to be able to do but it always seems like when faced with the question of what I do, I seem to be the one that belittles it by trying to convince the other person that even though I stay at home now that I used to actually work.  How crazy is that?  I really think that it isn't other people who are judging me but that I am judging myself and I'm really unsure why. 

This is definitely something for me to work on. 

I know that being a mom is probably the most important job in the world.  I am the one that the kids are with the most.  I am the one who does most of the disciplining.  I am the one who listens to what happened at school today or what show was funny.  I am the one who hears, "Mommy, watch me do xxxx" at least a hundred times a day.  So  think that I am the one who needs to give myself more credit.

I really hope that next time someone asks me what I do, I can be content to say that I'm a mom.  Period.

4 comments:

  1. Love it!!! and yes I hope that you can proudly say, I am a stay at home mom. There is no greater job, nor more important job than being at home with the kids. If I could go back and do it all over again. I would manage a way somehow to be able to stay at home with you and Riss. If only until you were both in school. So never feel 'less' than other women who don't get that opportunity. Truth is... if they have children, they are envious of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree...I always say, "back when I had a real job..." and I feel a total cringe when you have to mark your occupation on a survey. When you think "homemaker" I totally see June Cleaver which I am SO not. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all "stumble" over our words when it comes to answering that question. I always feel the need to tread carefully, and at the same time not look like I'm making excuses or justifying any decision.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, April! We have the best job in the world :)

    ReplyDelete