Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Memory Lane

I'm sitting here with Caleb sleeping on me, GracieAnn is watching her "shows" in the playroom and Bubba (Kanin) is at school. The house seems really quiet right now but I know in an hour or two it will be back to the normal fighting, yelling, bouncing and jumping.

I've been thinking a lot lately about my childhood. I don't usually take walks down memory lane but here recently it is like I am trying to remember everything I can and I thought I might as well start writing some of these memories down before I totally lose them. I'm going to try to go through some of my mom's pictures and scan and post any pictures that relate but, let's face it, it's not like I have a lot of time and I have intentions of doing a lot of things.

I guess since Kanin got his bicycle I've been thinking of a lot of bicycle related memories. I remember riding Grandma Williams-Riles blue 3-wheeled bicycle with the white basket in the back. When she got that bike, I just thought it was the coolest thing. Marissa, Donna and I used to ride it up and down the road. I remember riding in front of William Dowdy's house while he was out in the front yard playing, too. It just seemed like the coolest bike ever.

I also remember an old blue old-tyme bike that we got from somewhere. I guess I felt like my I had outgrown my orange bike and so I rode that old, blue, rusty one forever. My legs were too short and I couldn't sit on the seat and peddle so I just rode it around by standing up the whole time.

My earliest memory of a bicycle, though, is the little red one that I had that had training wheels. At the time, the road we lived on was gravel so I couldn't walk on it. So, we had to walk down the street to where the pavement started and ride it. It also happened to be right in front of Grandma Williams' house. My mom and dad would walk beside me and we would ride from Grandma Williams' house to right in front of Uncle Calbert's house. They tell me that I was riding it on my own for a long time but it still had the training wheels on it. The training wheels weren't even touching the ground but I threw a fit and wouldn't let them take them off. I guess it was a security thing. I don't remember when or why but they eventually took them off and that was it, I was an official bike rider.

It's funny how memories get triggered. I've been thinking so much about bicycles lately that I'm thinking about getting one. Now that Kanin has one I could get a big one with a trailer and pull the babies in it. I don't know, we'll see . . . once again, I have good intentions but we'll see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff & I are both planning on getting bikes next summer, now that Alison has her training wheels off & we're hoping that Aidan has his off next summer, too. He's kind of like you, I guess.. he doesn't really use them, but still wants them on for security. I think it will be really fun to take family bike rides along the Katy Trail or a park.

    ReplyDelete